Insulated Concrete Forms vs other Building Materials
A Quad-Lock building is:
- Ultra Energy-Efficient because of continuous EPS insulation (higher & uniform
R-value), greatly reduced air infiltration, and the thermal
mass effect of concrete. Learn more...
- Much more Comfortable and Healthy
because of very even inside temperatures (no cold spots or nasty drafts), far better sound attenuation, and low risk of mold growth and allergen infiltration.
- Longer-lasting and more resistant to natural disasters, rot, mold, and pests because the solid reinforced concrete is up to 8 times stronger and nearly impenetrable (even for car crashes) - it's what gives bunkers their strength! See Disaster Resistance...
- Quad-Lock has the highest range of
insulation values. Different combinations of Quad-Lock Panels give you the choice of
true R-Values of 22, 28, 30, 38, 43, 45, 53, and 59. Don't trust claims about "effective R-Values" - often cited as "R-50" for R-22 ICFs - which are unscientific (and prohibited by advertising laws).
- Quad-Lock creates much less waste
compared to ICF block systems because most parts that need
to be cut can be reused in the same project (see
Reduce, Reuse & Recycle Tips). Quad-Lock typically adds a 2-4% waste factor in estimates & quotes (some installers can achieve 1% or less!), while many projects using ICF blocks need a 5-8% waste factor - often not included in estimates. A price per square foot of forms is NOT suitable for comparisons because you need to add the waste factor, structural bracing for corners and angles, plywood wrap-arounds on openings, zip-ties or clips to hold ICF blocks together, method to align walls along top and bottom, etc. along with all the associated labor costs!
- Most Quad-Lock items are in stock ready for shipping wheras many competitors require long lead times to first produce what you order. In addition, it means their forms are often still moist and not shrunk down to final size.
- Quad-Lock offers less thermal bridging because internal buck-outs are made easy. "External bucks" - the only option for most ICF blocks - create a significant thermal bridge around every window and door opening.
is highly versatile
using a few standard parts. Quad-Lock can easily be shaped to
form all the design elements of modern buildings - wide openings,
arches, corners, any angles, and real curves with
almost any radius.
has very strong corners because of ingenious metal brackets and plastic ties - no additional bracing or zip-ties needed, because they're built-in!
- Quad-Lock costs less to ship
and store compared to most ICF block systems because it is a flat
panel & tie system. Up to 100% more wall area can be shipped per
truckload. With Quad-Lock, you're not shipping air!
- Quad-Lock is ISO 9001
to assure and continuously improve product and service quality.
technical and instructional support and material.
Local dealers and distribution partners are equipped to answer your questions, prepare detailed
estimates, and assist at the jobsite. Quad-Lock Field
Representatives are also ready to assist with quantity
pricing, job site training, product seminars etc. Our
Product Manual, and
technical and promotional
tells you exactly how to build with Quad-Lock. Read more
- Quad-Lock produces a flat, solid
concrete wall providing a constant thickness of concrete
throughout the wall (no thin/thick sections like grid or
- Quad-Lock is Code Approved.
other ICF can build around pre-tied
rebar as easily as Quad-Lock.
- No other ICF can be assembled with as
little laborers' exposure to the
outside of a multi-storey structure. Quad-Lock's
T-wall solutions allow building from the safety of the
inside of the building. This minimizes the amount of outside
scaffolding required, the risk of long falls for workers, and workers' compensation premiums.
- No other ICF can build columns
like Quad-Lock. Almost every commercial project needs them.
- Few other ICFs can offer the range
of wall thicknesses
that Quad-Lock can. See
& Extender Ties.
- Few other ICF companies offer
access to a LEED AP (Accredited Professional) who can
help designers identify & accrue LEED points for Quad-Lock
other ICF integrates concrete
walls and concrete floors or roofs as well. Quad-Lock
developed and tested unique solutions, such as
Slab Brackets & Ties, and actively sells and supports an
ICF for concrete floors & roofs, allowing lower freight costs by combining wall and floor shipments.
- Quad-Lock offers Green Roof technology with a rot-resistant roof structure that will carry the loads imposed by these designs. Learn more about Green Roofs.